I hosted the soiree (I love ANY reason to host a party!) and it was great to have all of the ladies over for drinks, dinner, dessert and...PRESENTS! It was fun to finally use our new(ish) dining table for a proper dinner party.
I made some cute succulent plantings for place cards (I got the inspiration here) which doubled as gifts for the girls to take home. I painted regular old tongue depressors with chalkboard paint, to make the name markers. I then tied the pot with a little baker's twine and voila - super cute place maker and gift.
I served a salad of fennel, apple, celery and pomegranate seeds along homemade mac & cheese as well as cioppino from Bon Appetit's December issue.
You can find the recipe for the cioppino here. It was festive and delicious.
I think overall, the favorite things theme was a hit. Here is what was given and received:
- Two buck Chuck and brownie mix from Trader Joe's
- Nutella and a Portland bicycle map
- A Starbucks Colorado mug (from Carolyn who joined via Skype from Colorado)
- Hanky Panky lace skivvies (Laurie SAYS she found them on sale)
- Wallflower room freshener from Bath and Body works
- Trident white, Tide to Go stick and soft socks
- (Not pictured) I gave Caldrea counter top spray
This was such a fun and festive evening with friends. I really like the favorite things theme and cold see throwing it at times other than just Christmas.