10) Bangkok Bicycle Tour: We took a 1/2 day guided tour of Bangkok that led us through the slums, across the river and through the urban jungle.
9) Snorkeling off the coast of Koh Lipe: Okay, I did not take this photo. But we did see this fish, I think it's a lion fish. We took a boat out for a day trip around the island to various rocky areas for snorkeling, hanging with monkeys, and lounging on remote islands. I am super bummed that I did not bring my camera; but picture the most stunning fluorescent fish swimming right beside us. It was the coolest.
8) Feeding Elephants: Luke thought this was one of the coolest things he's ever done. He couldn't believe that he got to feed the elephant....and then ride it!
7) Hanging with Family: It was great to be able to see my brother and fam. Especially my nephews. They were SO much fun to hang out with.
6) New Years Eve Fireworks over the river in Bangkok:
5) Food, OMG the Food! I can't imagine another place where I would be so excited for every meal! Some favorites of mine were: Pomello (Thai grapefruit) , Som Tam (a salad made with shredded unripe papaya) and whole fried fish with Mango. Luke's faves were Khao Soi (yellow curry noodle soup with a chicken leg), Pad See ew Gai (Wide noodles with chicken) and Ba Mi (a clear broth soup with ramen style noodles and pork).
4) The River Kwai Resotel: This was probably one of the coolest places that I've ever stayed. From the raw wood furnishings, to the open air dining areas, this resort on the River Kwai was just our cup of tea. It is about a 4 hour drive west of Bangkok on the Burmese border accessible by long boat.
3) The Hospital (?): Okay, now this wasn't one of the most fun moments but definitely the most memorable. After jumping off a rock into the river Luke was using a rope to climb back up when he inadvertently lodged a fish hook in his finger. After a few tense minutes and my super duper MacGyver skills, we were able to cut him free and get him to the hospital where they could swiftly cut out the hook and get him all fixed up. All for just over 10 US dollars.
2) The Thai "Farmer's" Market: This is the market in bangkok where the locals go on the weekend to get their fresh produce and meats. It was one of the first things we did after arriving to get groceries for Christmas dinner.
1) Koh Lipe: Just in general this was such an unbelievably beautiful island and a fabulous place to spend a relaxing 4 days.
We had a fabulous time!